We have a number of signed copes of La Belle Sauvage with an exclusive free gift of a stunning limited edition print, featuring artwork by the illustrator Chris Wormell. The ideal present for Christmas.
Did You Know…?
1. The Book of Dust is a story in three parts. The first part, La Belle Sauvage, is set 10 years before the events of His Dark Materials, and the rest of the story takes place 20 years after that: in fact, 10 years after Lyra comes home to Jordan College after her adventure in the Arctic at the end of The Amber Spyglass.
2. Alethiometers, daemons and the Magisterium all feature!
3. The story will focus on some new characters, as well as an ordinary boy who eagle-eyed readers may have spotted in Lyra’s story before. With Lyra, he is caught up in a terrifying adventure that takes him into a new world…
4. Their tale is topical as it centres on the struggle between a despotic and totalitarian organisation that wants to stifle speculation and enquiry, and those who believe that thought and speech should be free.
5. Rather than a prequel or a sequel to His Dark Materials, Philip describes The Book of Dust as an ‘equel’ – a new story that stands beside his previous trilogy.
6. Like His Dark Materials, it will be released in three parts. Part One will be published on 19th October 2017 – 22 years after Northern Lights was published in July 1995.
7. The cover for La Belle Sauvage was illustrated by the extremely talented Chris Wormell, who specialises in linocuts and wood engraving, as well as illustration.
Experience a more civilised way of Christmas shopping by coming and browsing in our calm and friendly bookshop. We have beautiful books, exquisite and unique gifts, and friendly staff on hand to give you help and advice on all your important purchases.
Fun, quirky, interesting titles for those hard-to-buy for people in your life...plus the latest fiction titles in hard and soft backs – and a fast, free, no-fuss order service for any titles you need that are not on the shelf.
Best-selling British Library Crime Classics – for classic crime lovers everywhere – with stunning covers and intriguing plots of mystery and suspense.
Stunning, unique gift books, sure to delight adults and children alike…and a great range of festive titles for your little ones to curl up with this winter.
Games, puzzles, crafts and toys to keep the youngest members of the party busy over Christmas.
Not forgetting a whole host of friendly, furry faces just waiting to come home with you this Christmas!
Urmston Bookshop would like to wish all our customers a very merry Christmas and a happy and inspirational new year!
We sell book tokens too – the ideal Christmas gift for book-lovers everywhere.
We are showing the box office triumph The Man in Grey.
Clarissa befriends impoverished stunner Hesther who then repays her friendship by trying to steal Clarissa’s evil husband. An all-star cast (Margaret Lockwood, James Mason, Phyllis Calvert and Stewart Granger) bring this elaborate, romantic, costume drama to life.
Tuesday 21st November at 7pm
Tickets cost £7.00; this includes popcorn and an ice cream at the interval.
To book phone 0161 747 7442, email: email@example.com, or call in.
Join us for an evening of mystery, laughter, and murder…
Tuesday 24th October
If you enjoy a good murder mystery without the gore and bloodshed, Julia Chapman is the acclaimed author of the very popular Dales Detective series and she is here to introduce the second instalment of her fun and atmospheric tales set in the deep, dark Dales.
Tickets cost £3.00; this includes a glass of wine and is redeemable against the cost of a book on the evening. To book phone 0161 747 7442, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call in to the shop.
Stories, songs, no tricks, but maybe a little treat…
Wednesday 25th October at 10 – 10:30am
All pre-school children and their older siblings are welcome. Feel free to come in your fancy dress costume!